There are several federal agencies that play a part in the regulations that cover soap and cosmetic labeling. Checking their websites will provide details. Also checking the actual regulations in the Code of Federal Regulations is good.
Government Agency Websites
- FDA, Cosmetic Division
- Federal Trade Commission
- National Institute of Standards & Technology, Weights and Measures
- National Conference of Weights and Measures
- Environmental Protection Agency – Minimum Risk Pesticides
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations, Cosmetic Products:
Rules and Laws
- Fair Packaging and Labeling Act
- Food Drug & Cosmetic Act
- Uniform Laws and Regulations, 2006 Edition (links to full contents)
- Uniform Weights and Measures Law
- Uniform Packaging and Labeling Regulations
Support this site & pay it forward
Helping the handcrafted soap and cosmetic industry has been my passion for nearly 20 years now. With this blog and answering questions sent to me, I try to provide accurate information freely and to assist those making soap and cosmetics to follow the rules and regulations. While others may charge for answering questions or create paywalls to access the data, I will always try to provide the important and necessary information freely to all.
If you feel this information has been valuable to you, helped you, and would help others -- and if you can afford it -- a small payment to help offset the time, effort and cost of providing this information would be greatly appreciated!